Julie’s Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (a-k-a Sunday Gravy).
This Appetizing Julie’s Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (a-k-a Sunday Gravy) using 13 easy ingredients and 6 simple steps. Learn how to achieve it.
Ingredients of Julie’s Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (a-k-a Sunday Gravy)
- Prepare of can of tomato purée (crushed tomatoes would also work).
- You need of can of tomato paste.
- Prepare of bacon grease and/or extra virgin olive oil (I save up bacon grease drippings so I always have a reserve in a jar in the refrigerator).
- It’s of sweet onion, finely chopped.
- It’s of wine (red or white).
- Prepare of water.
- Prepare of basil leaves, chopped.
- Prepare of bay leaves, whole.
- You need of dried oregano.
- It’s of Sugar.
- Prepare of Garlic salt.
- You need of Black pepper.
- Prepare of heel of Parmesan cheese, optional.
Julie’s Homemade Italian Tomato Sauce (a-k-a Sunday Gravy) step by step
- In a large pot, sauté the chopped onions in the bacon grease (preferable) or the olive oil, or a combination of both, until the onions are soft and begin to turn brown..
- Add the remaining ingredients together into the pot and simmer, covered, all day long (but for at least a couple hours). For added flavor and an amazing taste, add meatballs (see my recipe), sausage, pork ribs and/or a heel of cheese (yes, just toss the entire heel into the pot). The more, the merrier!.
- When ready to serve, remove and discard the bay leaves and the heel of cheese..
- Serve over your favorite pasta..
- Tip: Make a double batch and freeze the extra for next week!.
- Buon appetito! 🇮🇹.